Cleaning chemicals can be harmful to your family and pets. Here's how to avoid them

Most of the time, we assume that they are safe. But in reality, many of the most popular household cleaners are dangerously toxic. 

 

When we shop, it's easy to forget the danger posed by the chemicals in cleaning products to our family and pets. 


Manufacturers are more concerned with cleaning efficacy than how they affect the consumer’s skin, sensory organs, internal organs, and biological systems.


There are potentially harmful toxic chemicals within many common cleaning products. Below are the most common and important ones to be aware of: 



Perchloroethylene (PERC). Commonly found in fabric cleaners.


Formaldehyde. It has been linked to the onset of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, a neurodegenerative disease that slowly eliminates the brain's ability to control the body.


Butoxyethanol. 2-butoxyethanol is a common ingredient in all-purpose cleaners and window sprays. Prolonged exposure to 2-butoxyethanol can cause liver and kidney damage. 


Ammonia. Ammonia works as a glass polish and cleaner. While it is very effective at leaving a streak-free shine, it also irritates human tissue. If you have lung or respiratory problems, you will quickly notice pain and discomfort. 


Sodium hydroxide. Most people already know that oven cleaners are relatively strong cleaners. So are plungers and drain cleaners, and that's because they use lye or sodium hydroxide. Even mild skin contact or inhalation can cause severe reactions in sensitive areas.


How can I exclude these products from my cleansing routine?

In 2009, the Los Angeles Times published an article about how businesses with high cleaning needs, such as hotel chains and hospitals, use a mixture of water and salt to create a natural, non-toxic disinfectant that replaces bleach.


The process to create this natural disinfectant is known as Electrolysis and has been used in large industries such as pharmaceuticals and hospitals for over 100 years. 


Two new and natural substances are generated by applying a low voltage electric current to the water and salt mixture: Hypochlorous Acid and Sodium Hydroxide.


The human body generates hypochlorous acid in the white blood cells as a disinfectant against infections. 


Hypochlorous acid (HOCl)


When our body needs to fight an infection or microbes that have entered it, it generates hypochlorous acid to fight the intruders. 


The most powerful natural disinfectant, it also gives bleach its ability to kill microbes and disinfect.


Sodium hydroxide (NaOH)


A detergent is used in a variety of products, from toothpaste to skincare creams and cleaning products. Depending on the concentration level, it changes its ability to be toxic.


Hypochlorous Acid in the HealthCare Environment


Hypochlorous acid is FDA approved for use in wound care and eye care products, and is common in veterinary care products. Despite its efficacy against pathogens, hypochlorous acid is non-toxic and does not cause adverse effects in humans or animals. It does not irritate the eyes or skin. Over the past 20 years, hypochlorous acid solutions have been used as wound cleansing agents. Even if accidentally ingested, HOCl will not cause harm.


How is hypochlorous acid produced?


In addition to being generated by the human body, hypochlorous acid can be produced through a process known as electrochemical activation (ECA) that has its roots in research that began more than a century ago. An ECA machine uses electricity, high-purity salt, and soft tap water to generate hypochlorous acid, a strong oxidant with potent antimicrobial properties that kills a wide variety of bacteria, fungi, and viruses. An alkaline solution that can be used as a cleaner and degreaser can also be produced simultaneously. 


These machines usually cost between 300 to 6,000, making them not a solution for the domestic market.


Where can I buy this solution?

The solution after electrolysis loses its efficacy within 48 to 72 hours. Its storage and production become more expensive and cannot be profitable in terms of production and distribution.










 



Is there an effective solution for the home?

At Moppsypro, we offer a simple, fast and effective solution to produce a natural, non-toxic solution for the disinfection of any surface at home. 


Ecosanit is a detachable electrolysis module that can be used as a mop or spray to disinfect the whole house. 


The module is powered via USB to generate the electricity needed to trigger the electrolysis process.


The tank is programmed with 3 different electrolysis modes depending on your disinfection needs. 


More information in this article: